Old 11-07-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default Tomato plant is too tall

Jerry W. wrote:
I grow my tomato plants in pots, on the deck. The deer have a nasty habit
of eating if I grow them in the ground.

One of my plants is reaching 7' tall, it is the grape variety. I don't have
cages or anything around them, just 6' stakes. They are in 15 gallon pots.

Can I just prune the top, so it doesn't grow any taller? I don't want to
kill the plant, just wondering if this will end the growth for the height.

Thank you.

Yes, you can prune it and it will cause it to grow suckers lower on the
plant that will eventually have blooms and then tomatoes.

The type of plant you have is indeterminate (they grow and grow and
grow). What you really want to grow in pots is determine plants. They
only grow to a determined height (height depends on the variety). There
are many grape or small red tomatoes that are determinate but, more than
likely, you will have to grow them from seeds since most places that
sell tomato plants don't carry them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years