Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Orchid Trends

"Rob" wrote in message
Susan Erickson wrote:

Thanks for the help.
In case you did not guess -- I need to do a 5 min. synopsis of trends.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Ah... Judging homework... So, I'll contribute my own two cents on
slippers, which probably is vastly different than anybody else's (since I
have no clue!), so perhaps we can start an argument. From my own
experience, the trend in phrag breeding (and buying) seems to be in
besseae x long petal types (Ruby Slippers), and is getting away from the
'besseae type' breeding (breeding for bigger and better besseaes, ala
Scarlet O'Hara). But that might be a fickle trend. A lot more interest
in soft pastel colors (from schlimii and fischeri influence). Of course
kovachii hybrids will be big, expect to see them everywhere in the next
couple of years.

I can't figure out paph breeding right now. I love maudiae types, and
that is what I'm buying (and trying to breed, with minimal success). But
they haven't been selling well this year, at least at shows around me. A
shame, since the influence of some of the newest generation of sukhakulii
(huge and wide petaled) is really a quantum leap forward in this type of
breeding. Coloratums are not selling at all, vinicolors are selling a
bit. I could have sold as many albinistic maudiae types as I had, if I
had been willing to part with them, so perhaps those are becoming popular
again. I think multiflorals are pretty much tapped out, until we get some
new species to work with. Complex breeding has probably reached a
pinnacle, there hasn't really been a major improvement over the Winston
Churchill type (big spotted complex) in the last twenty years. They are
still getting awards, but I'm not sure that means much. Incremental
progress at best. White/green complex breeding seems to be peaking as
well. Might see substantial activity in what were described as 'teacup'
complex in a recent Orchids Digest article - wee little plants with good
sized flowers. Based on the number of people who ask me, there is a
general resurgence in the demand for complex 'bulldog' type paphs, so
perhaps even if there isn't a great improvement over previous years they
are becoming more popular. The old is new again? Like bell-bottom jeans,
I guess.

--

I agree on the tea cup Paphs (as mentioned in the OD article). They were
also presented at the Paph Guild 2 years ago (or the last time I went) I

But Rob, I believe the trend (apart from the illegals and kovachii) is to
use fairrieanum. I've seen quite a few of these in people's talks. Here's
a recent award that shows what I mean - you'd never guess there was
farrieanum in the back ground. I believe farrieanum darkens colors
http://www.aospacificcentral.org/Sac...phhirxvir.html

K Barrett