Old 10-07-2006, 09:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
David

Default Pergola

Jonno wrote:
Claude wrote:
I want to build a pergola to support a grape vine over the deck. I
need to span 6 metres and am thinking the only practical way to do
this is to use some form of parallel wires (eg tensioned stainless
steel like they use on yachts) set out at say 500mm centres. I'm
wondering if anyone would have an idea if this would work or whether
the weight of a fully grown vine would eventually lead to sagging
wires?

Depending on thickness of cable, and the tensioning technique it
should hold the weight OK.
Look at other pergolas in your area. You may find, if youre building
the frame out of wood, that you would have to make sure the tension is
retained at both ends...without anything collapsing. So reinforcement
to carry the weight would also be an issue.
A metal frame sounds like it would work...
Sagging wires would be the least of my problem. They would get covered
by the vine anyway...

Use heavey fencing wire attached to turn buckles then they can be adjusted
if they do sag - their pretty cheap at bunnings
Lushy