Old 11-07-2006, 02:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
Steve Wallis

Default Tree Ferns & Daphne

Hi,

I live in Hobart and want to plant some tree ferns (or Man ferns as they
call them here). What is the best Month to do it? The local nursery stocks
them all year and say anytime is ok, but I want to give them the best chance
of surviving as I am a health hazard to plants.

We also have a well established Daphne in the spot I would like to build a
shed. I believe transplanting these is difficult, even for good gardeners.
Are there any tips which would at least give it a fighting chance, or should
I simply chop it up and compost it?

Finally, regardless of the fate of the existing Daphne, I am trying to find
a variegated one, but have not seen any at the nursery. Nor were they
hopeful of procuring any for me. Any clues where I can find them?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Steve

(bigpondnotyahoo)