Old 10-07-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Filling in a garden pond

On 10/7/06 20:04, in article , "p.k."
wrote:

p.k. wrote:

80 deaths a year of children under 5 in garden ponds & pools is 15%
of ALL deaths of children under 5
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloa...31/DH2No31.pdf

ignore the calculation here, it is gibbersish!

The rest is valid quotes from official sites.

Please may I suggest that we get back onto an even keel here? Thousands and
thousands of children have grown up round ponds, rivers, harbours,
shorelines or on boats etc. What is needed is for their adults to be
sensible about this.
Eliminating every garden pond in Britain is not going about this the right
way.
So. While children are small and can slip out through doors un-noticed,
fence the pond with horizontal palings 4' high and no more than 3" apart.
Padlock any access gate and teach children respect for........water,
stinging nettles, barbed wire, plants, large animals that kick or bite and
ditto small ones that scratch or bite and above all, to do what they're
told! Our grand daughter has fallen into the fish pond once and been hauled
out and down the last 5 stairs of her home and broken her arm! Shall we all
buy bungalows?
Take sensible precautions, aware that small children move faster than
quicksilver. And to be frank and probably far more importantly, make sure
that your children cannot run, unsupervised, onto a road passing your house.
How many people don't have that and how many do have ponds?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk