Old 11-07-2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

Default What is this bug

KW wrote:

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message

Please look that these pictures and tell me what kind of beetle this
is. I see them when I work on my garden at night with artificial
white light. They are attracted to the light and fly around a lot.
One picture has a ruler showing and you can see that the one I
photographed was just under half an inch. (It got caught in my
birdbath.)

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?i...cropped4zh.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?i...beetle17ow.jpg

Just a swag, but a juvenile Japanese beetle perhaps?

No, a juvenile Japanese beetle would be a grub. Like most beetles (all
beetles?) they emerge as full size adults. At nearly half an inch, it's
already bigger than a Japanese beetle.
It looks to me like what most people just call June bugs. Their season
should be over by now. We have them here in June but I think they are
usually around in May for most of their range.

Steve
PS I just saw the first 2 Japanese beetles of the season today. Here
they come. :-(