Old 11-07-2006, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Orchid Trends

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:23:09 -0400, Rob
wrote:

But Rob, I believe the trend (apart from the illegals and kovachii) is to
use fairrieanum. I've seen quite a few of these in people's talks. Here's
a recent award that shows what I mean - you'd never guess there was
farrieanum in the back ground. I believe farrieanum darkens colors
http://www.aospacificcentral.org/Sac...phhirxvir.html

I thought about mentioning fairrieanum... But I didn't realize it was a
trend yet. I've seen some very nice things made with fairrieanum
recently. Fairrieanum x complex can be a stunning combination. X
Winston Churchill gives you P. Oto, which is quite nice. And another
one I have and am not getting rid of is Irish Moss (with Jolly Green
Gem). And crosses with brachys are super sweet. Too bad I can't grow
fairrieanum itself (I can get them from seed to bloom, but they die
right afterwards...).

Nice call, though. I'm going to have to find more fairrieanum hybrids
now that I realize why I like them.

Paph Angela which is farrieanum x niveum, is a lovely farrieanum shape
but larger and less marked.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids