Old 11-07-2006, 06:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Best resources for plant info?

"[H]omer" wrote in message ...
Looking for extremely comprehensive plant information on mainly
British species of pretty much everything, from fungi to oak trees,
and everything in between, both wild (so-called weeds) and domestic.

I'd prefer electronic form, since there is significantly more space
available on my hard drive than on my bookshelf.

Type of info required:
. Positive identification
. Common and Latin names
. Soil and environmental conditions
. Life cycle and reproduction
. Common pests, diseases and cures (organic) per species
. Productivity tips, esp. WRT fruit and vegetables
. General care advice

Google is probably your best friend once you know the name of a
plant................. "~)

Plants general:
http://www.horticopia.com/hortpix/ - Useful if you know the name of the
plant
http://www.perennials.com/search.html Search perenials by height,colour
etc - USA but still useful
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx Similar to above but
from the RHS
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html Search by latin name, region
(world) etc
http://www.pp.clinet.fi/~mygarden/diction2.htm Dictionary latin/common name

Veg - when to plant what :
http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1710

Trees: http://www.native-tree-shop.com/

Need to identify and revive the contents of my garden, and improve a
section of common land. Also looking to grow my own fruit and veg.

I'm not in a hurry to learn everything on day one, but I'd feel more
comfortable with an authoritative and comprehensive reference,
esp. WRT British wild plants, that seems lacking in literature (that I
could find anyway).

try :
http://www.reticule.co.uk/flora/
http://www.ukwildflowers.com/
http://www.naturescape.co.uk/

I have lots of links on my website, but they are more for roof gardens,
pots, cacti ...:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Jenny