Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

Default Brown grass edges and tips....help (0/1)

Martin wrote in message ...
I have a similar problem. In addition to the straw appearance, my lawn
seemed to have stopped growing. I also noticed numerous spots where
animals had apparently "core aerated" the lawn, probably in search of
grubs.

For reference, I'm in Southern New Jersey and have an irrigation
system.

Based on not wanting to repeat last year (described below), I applied
the following:

- Spectracide Grub Stop at the recommended rate.
- Bayer Fungus Control. I kind of miscalculated, and put down about 5
lbs. per 1000 ft**2 instead of 3.

The lawn seems to be growing again.

I have a problem like this every year. Last year, I had a lawn service
fertilize. During early spring, the lawn looked great - check the
photo from May, 2005. However, it had to be cut three time a week. By
late July it was awful. My theory was that the service applied too
much nitrogen, causing all top growth and no roots.

Martin. Without wanting to sound offensive, why do so many Americans
seemingly hire people to care for their lawns? It just seems bizarre to me.
I may understand if people had really big properties and needed gardeners
but this doesn't seem to be the case. Can you shed some light on it for me
please.

rob