Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Help with privacy fence options

wrote:
George.com wrote:

One thing you may consider doing is erecting some basic trellis and growing
a creeper up it. The trellis can be higher than 6 foot and would probably
not constitute a fence if you did it right. You can train a fairly quick
growing creeper up it that require pruning twice a year to keep it neat.

Yes, I've thought about the trellis vs. fence option. I'm not sure what
the criteria are for determining if a trellis constitutes a "fence".
The local code only makes reference to fences.

First, you have my sympathy. Your neighbor is an idiot. Where I
live, I have a 1 acre lot. The neighbor behind my house has a similar
size lot, maybe a little bigger, with a 9000 sq ft house on it. This
dummy took all the trees on the lot out right up to his property line.
There is a buffer of natural trees of about 25 ft on my side. That's
how the situation was when I bought it. It's OK right now, but if he
had any sense or decency, he would have left at least 10 or 15 ft ft on
his side too. If I or a future owner ever take out all the trees on my
side, we too would be staring at each other. Had he done the right
thing, and shared creating a buffer, I could take out some of the
trees, have more open space, without creating a problem for both of us.

In your case, my first choice would be to use arbovitae or similar to
create a screen. They can take up a lot less than 3-4 ft, especially
if you just trim them occasionally. I have them planted between my
garage and sidewalk, in a narrow planting bed that can't be more than 2
ft wide and they work fine there. They are easily 7 ft tall now.

If you don't want to go that route, then I'd apply for the variance.
It really shouldn't be that difficult. Typically, for this kind of
thing, you have to fill out some forms, supply drawings, explanation,
notify all property owners withing a certain distance, and pay a filing
fee. At a public hearing, the board takes any input, then renders a
decision.

I would likely talk to the neighbor behind you as long as you have no
reason to think they will object. If they are supportive, that could
be critical. At best have them show up to support you or provide a
letter. At least make sure they don't object.

The comments about a variance being difficult depend entirely on what
one is seeking. For example, if you are trying to get a variance for a
non-conforming use on a property, that will be far more difficult,
require engineering work, etc. What you are requesting is very
simple, straightforward and reasonable.