Old 11-07-2006, 02:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Tree Ferns & Daphne

ant wrote:
Steve Wallis wrote:

Finally, regardless of the fate of the existing Daphne, I am trying
to find a variegated one, but have not seen any at the nursery. Nor
were they hopeful of procuring any for me. Any clues where I can find
them?

Find someone who has one, and take a cutting? Great way to grow daphne.
Maybe check out fetes and things in spring, people strike them in butter
containers and flog them! Getting a daphne happy is a great thing. If
they're happy, they'll grow like mad, but if they get annoyed, that's it. I
haven't even thought of trying to grow one up here, windy and dry. No
self-respecting daphne would have a bar of it.
I love daphne, they smell like heavan. Some are like lemons, others are like
strawberry icecream.

You do have to make sure you dont get one which has a virus though. Lots
of them grown from cuttings are not sterile and succumb to the damn disease.
Read the other day of grape vines with diseases, which were put through
a heat sterilization process. Think it may be enough to keep these
cuttings in a moist elevated temperature for many hours, but not to kill
them. This will kill the viruses (much the same way as the human body
tries to get rid of them) at somewhere around 108 fahrenheit it wil l
probably take some experimentation...and some technical knowledge.
Could be a fish aquarium with heater set at higher temp.
(Whoops my brains are showing again)
Also grow passion fruit vines from freshly opened fruits...Thats when
they germinate the best. Then stand back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1