Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Help please peas!

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
*****************************
I w trying to work out where I've heard the name Mary Fisher before, and
now I remember that superb Fay Weldon series "Life and loves of a She
Devil"
Good! That made me smile..we did enjoy that!

I think it might have also been from uba ...

As we decided to do the vegetable garden we thought we might as well make
a "thing" of it, borrowed a turf cutter rather than use poison and took up
more long narrow pieces of the lawn. Now they're full of everything we
can think of. The moles like them too we're not amused:-)

I suspect your garden is bigger than ours.

I think we were enthused by the programme "Its not easy going green"I
understand they now have a website..I shall look for it later. We got
very interested in wind and solar power; for some reason I find it wildly
exciting drawing electricity from such sources!

So do I but for various reasons wind and pv aren't appropriate for us.
However, in January we installed a solar water heater and have hardly used
any gas or electricity for heating water since (except for the kettle). It's
wonderful!

We went up to see a friend of ours who lives on a mountain
http://www.policedogsrus.co.uk
He's got several wind turbines and said he hasn't needed to switch on the
generator for ages and is wallowing in his free power...but he does turn
off his TV and not leave it on standby.

We don't even have a TV but we're very careful about power usage. And water.

We've dug out a reservoir because the met. office told us we were to
expect a drought. It is the wettest drought we've ever seen so far, but
maybe it will eventually turn into an ice rink.

:-)

I did grow some things over winter. I put onions in on November 20th and
also peas (in the greenhouse). The onions are ready now. They are so
beautiful and jewel like its a crying shame to eat them..

I dug some potatoes last night, they're like pearls in the ground ... we'll
have them this evening though. I boiled them and anointed them with (home
made) mayonnaise. Drool ...

In November or thereabouts I ordered garlic from the people in the Isle of
Wight. I didn;t think they would grow because in the spring I put in
local bought garlic, came from Holland I think, which remained miserable.
But the garlic from the IOW is now ready that too is so glorious. We've
been terribly vile and eaten it raw.

Best way!

The year before last we bought a trolley full of strawberries £10 the
lot!
I didn't think there could be a reason for it. They were called Royal
Gala. We have given them every possible consideration and they are bitter
and horrible...Never mind the German Shepherds dogs like them...they can
pick them all and eat them,!

LOL!

Oh dear rambling again.

Yes, me too, apologies to anyone who's read as far as this, please don't
flame us ...

Mary