Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

Default Filling in a garden pond

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 Sacha wrote:

We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

Please, please don't fill it in! Fence it with vertical or netting fencing
or look at putting in one of those just-below-the-surface metal grilles but
do keep it. Children have grown up beside rivers, seaside, harbours, lakes
and ponds for centuries. Take reasonable precautions but keep it!

Hmmm.. I think I would rather fill it in - in fact I did this in one
house/garden I occupied - because I know of a family where their
youngest, a toddler, fell in to their pond and nearly drowned. He didn't
drown but suffered brain damage and is now severely physically
handicapped.

Yes, I know that someone should have been watching him, but can every
parent here say that they watch their toddlers 100% of the time. It can,
and did, happen by simply going into the house to fetch something.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK