Old 18-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Anonymo421

Default Is it OK to put dog poop on a garden?

I don't feed my pets heavy metals, so they must be transmuting their
organic food into heavy metals. Think of that! the ancient alchemists
must have been looking in the wrong place if they failed to create
valuable metals from dross. (PS: I'm an omnivore, so I should check my
output also).

On the other hand, maybe they're chewing on my car when I'm not looking.

Bioamplification--little things eat minute amounts of heavy metal which
concentrate in their tissues. Larger things eat lots of them and amplify the
concentration. Those critters are eaten by even larger ones, and so the
process goes. This was the whole pesticide and eagle problem--by the time you
were up the food chain to fish that eagles ate, the toxins were at high enough
concentration to cause genetic damage. If your dog only eats dog food,
probably not an issue, but if it's a farm dog or one that otherwise has a lot
of time alone outside.... Even then, do you know what the food chain leading
up to your commercial dog food was? You may very well be feeding your pet
relatively high levels of heavy metals.

--
The US government wants the power to read citizens' email, but refuses to
defend the nation's borders. What's wrong with this picture?