Old 11-07-2006, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Runner beans having a problem.

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| On *runner beans*? I've never had that in forty years. The main reason
| don't grow broad beans is that I'm paranoid about blackfly, if I see
them on
| my beloved runners I'll - well, I don't know what I'll do!

I get a few patches, most years, but a negligible number compared to those
on broad beans. Spraying with soft soap works fine - and I have to do it
only once or twice, unlike on broad beans. The same applies to French
beans.

There apparently isn't a major problem with growing growing broad beans -
the problem seems to be plants like philadelphus, viburnum etc. - i.e. the
alternate (winter) hosts. As quite a lot of common weeds are alternate
hosts, it is quite hard to avoid that aphid.

I'm sure you're right but I've only ever seen them on broad beans here.
Pity, I love them. Perhaps their hosts are in adjacent gardens.

Mary