Old 11-07-2006, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

Default Best resources for plant info?

In message , Sacha
writes
On 11/7/06 17:07, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , "[H]omer" writes
rachel wrote:
If you can spare the space for just one book, I recommend the
Encyclopedia of Gardening from the RHS. It's authoritative and
comprehensive in my humblest opinion.

Hmmm yes, I've been looking at the RHS books on Amazon; they always seem
to get rave reviews.

If you have a Sussex bookshop near you, they have it at a very
reasonable price. (I bought my book a couple of years ago in Enfield
but they seem to be all over the country AFAIK).

The RHS encyclopedia is excellent but I wouldn't call it comprehensive, or
not entirely. Quite a few plants or their varieties are not in there -
especially the more unusual ones which are hardy in this country. One of
the best sources of info is Google and the Image search is extremely useful.

I believe you are correct but for mere amateurs like me, the RHS
encyclopaedia does the trick and it is well illustrated - If we need
any more, we ask here

PS Have just passed grade 6 flute, after learning for four years, so am
in a merry mood and think I am worthy of being excused
--
June Hughes