Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Celebrities who garden ?

On 11/7/06 22:30, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 11/7/06 18:41, in article
, "Broadback"
wrote:

Sean wrote:
said...
osterley Wrote:
Does anyone know of any comedians or celebrities who are keen and
relatively knowledgable gardeners ?

Alan Titchmarsh.

Charlie Dimmock.

Ah, but how many of these actually garden, personally I cannot see the
"Prince of Wales" double digging, can you?

Yes. Apparently he does. Like his ancestor, the Duke of Windsor, he finds
gardening very relaxing, which is why he had an eye injury from a branch
which whipped backwards!
BTW, I'm curious as to why Osterley has chosen that nom de net?

In the direct line to Prince Charles, his grandfather KG6 was a
hands-on gardener: had the poor devil not had to become king
unexpectedly, I understand he'd have been perfectly content to live out
his life with his garden and his stamp collection, and I think the Q
Mum believed he'd have lived a lot longer. The family has a bit of a
tradition, I think: Q Victoria's children worked in the garden, and
were duly paid for it by the head gardener -- I think that was the
practical Albert influence, as German royals had a tradition of being
apprenticed to trades.

The late Queen Mary used to take our present Queen around the various royal
palaces, tearing down ivy, apparently. She had a 'thing' about it and
really loathed it, so it was a bit of a mission!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk