Old 12-07-2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
sg_fla

Default When to water?

I agree. It's actually good for plants to get to the "soft wilt" stage
before you water. When they first show signs of wilt, water them.
They will grow to be stronger plants.

betsyb wrote:
I watch the leaves, they will tell you.

--
I am beginning to wonder how four years
with no Governor in NJ would be?

Betsy
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
If I dig down 3-4 inches, the soil appears moist. Should I wait until it's
dry to a depth of several inches before watering? My garden is doing well,
even my beans are doing good now that the weather is warm. If anything,
I'm overwatering. My nieghbors say that our wells will run dry in August,
and I will have to switch to city water to keep plants alive. At that time
I will need to cut watering to a minimum while still maintaining health
and productivity.

So - what is a good indication of the need to water? Wait until plants
start to wilt? Wait until soil is dry at a depth of several inches. Water
twice a week, needed or not?