Old 12-07-2006, 05:53 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default aphids on crepe myrtles

When the aphids are gone, the mold (which grows on their excretions)
will eventually dry up and fall off. To get rid of both, you can use
this:

1/3 cup Murphy's Oil Soap
1 tablespoon baking soda (this kills the mold)
1 gallon of water.

BE SURE to spray in early evening or early morning, when it is cool.
Otherwise, the oil will damage the plants.

Latosha Washington wrote:
I have aphids on my crepe myrtles and they put out that black tar type
stuff. Although the plants are healthy, the blooms/flowers are limited
severely by these things.

I've sprayed with neem twice but they are still there.

Any good ideas?