Old 12-07-2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

Default Scott's does it again

So, it seems about everyone who responded agrees with me that Scott's
is duping the public with their special heat formula. I also use
Milorganite on the lawn and trees once in early spring after I've mown
the turf twice, again in fall, which around these parts isn't until
sometime in November (temperature wise).

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:40:40 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I use Milorganite every June, no burning. I'm not sure if chicken
manure would do the same. Lawns around here typically go dormant
July-August, but not always.

On 11 Jul 2006 21:59:37 -0700, "sg_fla"
wrote:

I understand about hot places and fertilizer. I'm a horticulturist in
SW Florida, and applying fertilizer in the heat of summer is like
spraying acid on your lawn. It just burns the hell out of the grass.

Scotts did this because sales drop severely for fertilizer in the
summer in the south. It's a marketing ploy. Unless it's something
like Milorganite or Organo (totally organic), don't put it on your
southern lawn in the summer!

Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:26:39 -0400, "Alan Sung" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
Their latest rip off item is this "specially formulated fertilizer
made for the heat." What crap. Please don't buy into it.

Could you substantiate what your complaint is? After reading the label, it
appears to just be a fertilizer with a bit of insecticide in it. Formulation
is 28-3-8 vs regular old Turf Builder is 29-3-4.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
Zone 6a

My complaint is their marketing line of bullshit, that its formulated
especially for the heat of summer. For people in the south, like
where I am in Texas, things, including turf goes dormant in high
summer and you'd be feeding weeds if you fertilize now. I don't like
the way they doop unsuspecting people.