Old 12-07-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Jumping "worms"

"nine" wrote in message
. com...
I have large areas of coco bean husks in my garden, and tonight I saw a
large amount of jumping "worms" about 1/4 inch in length. It was raining
lightly tonight while I was out there, and this is the 1st time in all the
years I have used these husks that this has happened. Now that the rain has
stopped they are "gone".

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

Wow, that's a poser. I really don't know what
those were. You might google cocoa bean
mulch and see if any of the state or federal
ag sites have information.

Oh what the heck, I did some research and
found this site:
http://www.cocoamulch.com/index.cfm?...8575&pageid=96

With this intriguing paragraph:
"Mulching will also encourage the presence of earth worms, which further
aerate the soil and release nutrients in the form of casting. This may
become apparent after extended rain, when you notice patches of white larvae
on your Cocoa Mulch, they will burrow back into the soil when the sun comes
out. Earthworms should be considered a prominent citizen in any garden and
are particularly important in perennial beds or in garden plots that are
rarely plowed or tilled."

Sound familiar?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8