Old 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Birch Tree Dropping Leaves??

FLHTPI wrote:
I have an unusual species of birch in my front yard, a Red River
Heritage Birch. The bark is sort of a light orange, and looks like
it's always peeling.

Anyway, I notice that I seem to have a lot of yellow leaves falling of
for this time of year. The tree is by no means going bare, but there
are always leaves dropping.

I recently sprayed as much of it as I could with Isotox, thinking I
may have Birch Tree Miners, but could only reach the bottom two-
thirds, (the tree is forty feet high).

I've noticed lots of other birch trees, mostly regular white clump
birches, also with lots of yellow leaves on the ground, so I'm not too
panicked.

I was just wondering if anyone has any insight into this. Is this a
common thing with birches?? I've had this tree since it was a
sapling, but this "leave thing" seems to have started over the past
few summers.
Any helpful input is appreciated.

Where do you live and water is your rainfall situation like this year?

As another poster mentioned, birches prefer things a bit on the damp
side. I bought my house last year and when it was put up 11 years ago
the idiot builder (my neighbor has a weeping willow 10 ft from his
house, lol) put a river birch next to the driveway in a nice hot, dry
location. At the end of last summer it was looking pretty sparse. It
came back fine this spring, but is already dropping leaves (and so many
stupid twigs) again .

Maybe the past few summers have been a little drier than the past and
that is why you are seeing the problem now. Or it could be that as the
tree has grown it has a harder time keeping up with its growing water
needs.