Old 13-07-2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Ficus Benjamina help please

wrote:
I bought two ficus benjamina trees at a local home depot (Montreal,
Canada)) and put them into terracotta pots for my condo. One is in the
livingroom in the front of the balcony window where it gets a couple of
hours in the morning of sunlight and the rest of the day the curtains
are open but there is no direct sun. Unfortunately my condo unit is on
the northeast side of the building so the only light I get is in the
early morning. The other ficus is in my bedroom, which only receives
some bright sunlight in the later evening for a couple of hours since
it faces northwest.
Both trees have been dropping leaves like crazy for the past month. I
see leaves dropping everyday and I usually give the ficus a strong
shake which make many more leaves fall. I was told that the ficus would
do this to adjust to the move, but I'm getting worried now (it's going
on a month now of leaf drop), since the lower branches are now
practically bare and more leaves are dropping all the time. The trees
are both starting to look kinda sickly since all I'm seeing is more and
more twigs. There are several green pointy tips (buds?) on some of the
twigs at the top of the trees, but others are schriveling up and
turning dark brown. I am watering when the soil feels dry and afraid to
overwater them. The leaves that are falling naturally are yellowish and
some are completely dried up and brown, but when I shake the trunk
vigorously, there are green leaves that fally of very easily. I am
misting the trees every couple of days. I don't know where to go from
here and need some expert advice because I think I'm doing something
wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Be careful not to let direct sun shine on the plant. They do appreciate
bright INDIRECT light, but few plants can tolerate the heat of being
indoors with direct sunshine.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/