Old 12-07-2006, 11:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default OK, new lawn rodent problem

Living in NJ, I thought I had seen everything. As far as rodents, I
always have some moles and chipmunks. But now I just noticed a section
of lawn where I have circular mounds of dirt on top of the grass.
These mounds are about the size of a large saucer or small pie and
stand several inches high. It's obvious fresh dirt from below. There
is no hole, just a round pile of dirt. In the 30 X 30 ft section of
lawn there are about 8 piles that stand out like a sore thumb.

The moles I've had for many years only dig surface tunnels, where they
push up the turf from below, not producting any surface piles. The
chipmunks just dig a nice perfect 1 1/2" round hole in the turf and
leave no dirt, so they haven't ever been a problem. But what the hell
is making this mess now? And how do I get rid of whatever it is?