Old 13-07-2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Default Tiny Snails!

jtill wrote:
? wrote:

On 11 Jul 2006 21:01:09 -0700 in . com jtill wrote:

Robert Lorenzini wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:10:19 +0100, Ian_UK wrote:

This is an interesting idea for pest control. I wonder if it would work
for bush snails...I bet it would!!

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

That's a great idea. I buy parrot seed in 5 gal plastic containers
and we put in dry ice to kill all the moth larva. Every pirate
needs a parrot (and orchids).

Bob

Now I have to find a source for dry ice.....

Most harris teeters sell it.

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."

Harris Teeters? Not familiar with those folk.
I am going to arrange a box so I can "freeze disinfect" additions to
my collection, just a great idea/method. Will it kill scale? Will it
kill orchids? ;-))
Joe T

1. I had to look up Harris teeters to find out what it is. It turns out
to be a small chain of stores located in about 5 southeastern states.

2. You make me nervous using that phrase "freeze disinfect". I assume
you realize it doesn't work by freezing? It's the CO2 that smothers the
pests. It should kill anything that requires a constant supply of oxygen
to stay alive.

I would love to try the dry ice method the next time I have a difficult
pest problem. I have no idea where I might go to buy it though. Probably
too far away to be practical for me. Actually, you can buy CO2 in a
tank. That should work and would be easier to keep on hand.

Steve