Old 13-07-2006, 03:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Seeding new lawn, howto spread seeds ?

Jonny wrote:
No, you have to prepare the soil to receive the seed. Otherwise, most will
just wash away. If the soil isn't tough, scratch it with a bow rake first.
Then tamp the soil lightly after seeding. Then lightly water is without
disturbing the soil surface late in the evening hours.

To grow grass from seed, you typically need to do more than just water
in once a day. Especially if you're trying to do it in summer, which
is the absolute worst time. You need to keep the surface constantly
damp, which in full sun can mean watering 4 times a day. Applying a
light cover, like hydraulic mulch which would be good for this app, is
a big help.

If using strictly your hand, go get a bucketful of sand to practice with
first. Idea is to uniformly spread the sand or seed.
--
Jonny
wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in the Caribbean,

do I just grab a handful and throw it at the ground ?

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
said:

I am looking to seed a few hundred sq feet of lawn.
What's the best method of spreading the seed out by hand ?

In mid July? You live in Alaska?

--
Eggs

- You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some
watery
tart threw a sword at you!!