Old 13-07-2006, 08:59 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Is there a indicator of soil pH simply from the plants that grow there

I was wondering if plants can act as a guage of soil pH rather than
scientific testing of soil samples. Whether if one sees a plant X
growing on the lot indicates the soil must be of a constrained pH.

The reason this question arises is because I was under the impression
that this land around me is alkali and not acidic enough to grow
hazelnut. However, one neighbor has a bush that is thriving. So I want
to know if there is a common weed that requires enough acid soil, such
that if I planted hazelnut in that spot would have enough acid soil. I
do not want to be soil sampling. I want to spot a plant that requires
acid soil and thus my hazelnut would do well in that spot.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium