Old 13-07-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default A new hedge required but which one?

In article ,
echinosum writes:

| I really like my neighbour's Pyracantha hedge - flowers in spring then
| holds many red/orange/yellow berries (according to variety) for many
| months, and very manageable, but may not get to full size immediately.

Bloody hell! I got rid of mine because I was getting too old to fight
it. A year's growth was often 6'+, 3/4"+ in diameter, equipped with
some really serious, mildly toxic, thorns. To avoid that, I would have
had to cut it once a month in early summer.

It depends on the soil and aspect - pyracantha can be anything from a
very slow-growing, small shrub up to what I had.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.