Old 13-07-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default A new hedge required but which one?

In article , Sacha writes:
| He should also add bay - Laurus nobilis - evergreen and useful.
|
| It certainly is but it grows quickly and spreads like mad, IME. It might be
| too bushy and too wayward for his needs. But in the location he's in, I
| think he can grow Fuchsias and Escallonias which have the bonus of flowers
| and being rather more interesting in my view.

There's no accounting for taste :-)

Yes, it can be vigorous, but it can be cut back hard (VERY hard), and
it has splendid golden flowers in spring. They are not large, but I
don't know why nobody has ever bred a flowering form.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.