Old 14-07-2006, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Julie

Default HELP!! pest cutting flowering stems

Thanks for the 2 replies. I don't think I described my problem very
well, but I have found the culprit. It is a little black weevil of
some kind. I didn't think they would cut the stem--actually, it is
more like girdling the stem I have discovered after spying on the
little buggers. They seem to girdle it for some reason, then the
flower falls over but is still barely attached to the plant. They then
go up to the actual flower and bury their faces in it, sucking nectar I
assume. All you can see is their dark metallic little "butts" sticking
up in the air. I hand picked several today, sprayed some directly with
insecticide.

Now I wonder if they are laying eggs in my stems and if I should burn
the whole patch in the fall??? I'll do some research...

thanks again!