Old 14-07-2006, 05:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Default Passionfruit, was Tree Ferns & Daphne

Jonno writes:
Most Nursery Men would have you grow them from a "grafted variety" like
"nelly kelly" A common con. You dont need to buy the grafted veriet
unless you have problems So far so good....

Perhaps you can explain this:- Nelly Kelly is usually grafted onto a
banana passionfruit rootstock because it's robust and disease-resistant.
But isn't the fruit of the banana passionfruit quite large and tasty,
and the flowers attractive too? So why don't more people grow the
ungrafted banana itself instead of the more expensive grafted species?

Dont forget you can prune them to suit you, other wise its all over red
rover everything.... Its huge....

Just as importantly, don't forget to water the vine during winter! I had
a heavy-bearing passion vine but during its dormant period I overlooked
the need to keep its sandy soil moist, and as spring warmed up it died of
thirst. :-( Only after it was gone did I appreciate how good it had been.

Its a black passion fruit. Dont foget these things are a local fruit.
(NATIVE PLANT) to Australia plus a few other pacific islands...

Are they really? Alongside the walking trail in some national parks I've
seen a vine that looked similar to the passionfruit but I assumed it to
be an exotic introduced to the park by visitors.