Old 13-07-2006, 03:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

Default Lawncare -was Brown grass edges and tips....help (0/1)

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
Without wanting to sound offensive, why do so many Americans
seemingly hire people to care for their lawns? It just seems
bizarre to me.

The service industry is a big part of our economy, from pizza to
brain surgery. Why should lawncare be any different?

increasingly here to (New Zealand). Pizza can be delivered, thats ok
as

like pizza. I also like caring for my lawn. Seems a waste of time
having one and letting someone else look after it.

Some have it done because of time constraints, others have it cared

for
because they don't know much about it. Some are just lazy.

Nothing at all bizarre about it.

I understand the time constraint bit, some are just too busy, as well as
having a large section that needs constant care. Some sized estates do
need gardeners. I guess I just roll my eyes at people who pay good money
to others for a perfect lawn whereas all it is to them is a 'trophy' to
match their nice house and nice car. Making lawns a consumer item, to
more accurately define my original question, strikes me as being plain
dumb. I guess that reflects your service industry statement Steve, the
ever increasing dreep of capitalism in to new 'markets'.

Professional lawncare is hardly a new market.

have to take your word on that Steve as you are a little closer to the
action than me. We have a thriving lawn mowing/dos laying business in NZ but
not yet the micromanagement style that the US seems to have. Personally I
hope we don't.

In many ways one
of the things wrong about our current environmental practises. To my
mind, just dumb.

rob

Not everyone is an expert in grounds care like you are Rob, hence the need
for the trained professional. That's true with most things, not just
agriculture.

Not an expert Steve, not at all. I have learnt stuff but trial and error and
talking to others has given me info and I am still learning by doing. Thats
not really the point though.

My dad, as an example, simply wants a green lawn and it kept cut. He has
grown grass/lawn (being an ex dairy farmer in younger days) for 1/2 a
century. He is old enough now he cant be bothered cutting it himself so he
gets a 'little man' in to do it for him. He wants to enjoy himself doing
other things. I have no issue with that philosophy. He doesn't however care
too much what type of grass he has, whether it is mowed in strips or whether
he has some board leaf weed in it. If it is green and growing he is
comfortable. He then doesn't bother getting the 'little man' to spray it or
fertilise it or whatever. If he wants that done he is able to himself.

Maybe we have a different philosophy than the US in this area. I however
just can't see the point of trophy lawns as a consumer item. Other people
will disagree vehermently with my opinion, so be it.

rob