Old 14-07-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default What does it take to get seeds to sprout?

Vivek.M wrote:

Not one seed has sprouted!

Clay is not suitable as a growing medium by itself for seeds unless
your plants have self seeded and their seeds have spent a winter buried
in the soil. But that's in England ) You are in full moonsoon now -
perhaps you're a bit impatient?

But I feel that your poor result is because of the soil you have used -
seeds need moist, light and airy conditions so that the roots grow well
- they all need good drainage too. My friend Shruti tells me that in
Gujerat she uses sticks to grow creepers so that it provide shade for
delicate plants but also protect from too heavy rain. Less soil
disturbance, no heavy rain fall, not too much sun and good rich soil
usually results in great plants in Bungalore.

I had heard of the Bangalore way of making compost which is interesting
because you are very much surrounded by amazing flower markets, notably
the marigold farms all around you !! Lucky you ) Check out the link
below.

Making your own compost and starting now would give you a head start
(and a cheap way) to make your soil a bit more rich. With the heat you
have it would only take a few weeks too!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/pdfs...Compost202.pdf