Old 14-07-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M

Default What does it take to get seeds to sprout?

Not one seed has sprouted!

How long ago?

Well the first batch that went into the nursery beds was planted on
26th June ( i've got some sprouts in this batch ). The batch that went
into the tray was planted on 30th June (0 sprouts).

Thompson and Morgan do a germination guide which I think is free - it
would be worth getting hold of a copy.

They have a online copy as well, which i promptly dl'd. Thanks K!

1. Why have such a small percentage of seeds sprouted?
2. What sort of magic-potion can i add to strengthen plant stems?

Light ;-)

Damn! I thought there would have been something cool - I'm beginning
to feel a little like Getafix *lol*. Actually i was hoping for some
tricks, as in: well, some seeds secrete enzymes when water gets in.
Maybe there is a way to sprout those seeds and then mash them and feed
them to my flower seeds.. I'll try that with green-gram and a few
Salvia.

5. Is there a fail safe recipe for sprouting seeds in controlled
conditions? That way i can figure out what i'm doing wrong!

Are any of your weeds sprouting well.?
I've been sowing seeds for over 40 years and I still have complete
failures, so don't be downhearted.

No weeds ! Err..for now.