Old 14-07-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Bindweed

In article , sam writes:
| John wrote:
| Thanks. I've heard that glyphosate kills bindweed. Any experience of
| that?
|
| Some years I had bindweed running through a seven-foot privet hedge.
| I applied glyphosate to it, trying to protect the hedge at the same time.
| Result In two years the hedge was dead.
|
| The bindweed ? Oh yes. It is flourishing still today.

That figures. As I have posted before, bindweed is really a New Zealand
plant, that has grown downwards far enough to come through here.

I have left a vegetable patch fallow for a year, so that I could spray
the bindweed repeatedly with glyphosate. Well, some of the plants were
feeble and did die, but the other just went bushy on top and grew as
vigorously as before after a year or two.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.