Old 14-07-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Early autumn.....?

On 14/7/06 17:29, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:
snip

Reminds me of the folklore that a heavy berry crop denotes a hard Winter
to follow. All it means is that the Spring and Summer has been good for
berries. I'm not sure that plants can be predictive, however I do
believe that animals can, even some humans can tell (especially us
oldies)when rain is on its way. Oh my poor bones, they do ache! ;-)

Oh yes. That one definitely works for me, unhappily. Screwmatics run
(well, hobble) in my family and the advent of wet weather certainly
announces itself to my joints. But this is not what I mean by my feelings
re autumn. It's just an overall but inexplicable 'feeling' that autumn will
be early. Maybe it is that plants are blooming late, then fast and so
forth. I don't remember it being like this in 1976 though I do remember
e.g. oak trees producing masses of acorns that year. I'm not even going to
try to explain it any further because it's too ill-defined and 'just a
feeling' isn't good enough, I know.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk