Old 16-07-2006, 04:01 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Nick Byford

Default Invasive water weed

I too have sworn quite a bit and very colourfully too, often making up new
words when others haven't worked or stringing the swearwords together to
form new and exciting ones. The latter turn the air blue and cause
spontaneous lightening strikes, but do nothing to the pond weed.

I have found that cutting back is the only way that really works.

We have this problem with Canadian pond weed which we bought as an
oxygenator and needs fairly severe cutting back on a regular basis.
Although we have a fairly capacious pond in our garden, for the job the weed
does, it's worthwhile time spent cutting it back, although I have been told
I look like Wallace in the wrong trousers when I step into my waders!

We don't want to get rid of it as it provides useful shade to the fish, who
seem to spend hours playing hide and seek with one another within the
copious mass.

Check out pictures and you'll see what I mean. Go to www.pennix.co.uk for
information on this and other rivetting snippets on our garden and pond.

"sandra2" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi
I have the same problem with water weed. Mine is light green with very
small white flowers. I bought it as an oxygenater, but it's taken
over the pond. If I try to remove it everything in the pond comes out
with it. I''ve tried swearing at it but that does not work for some
reason. The only thing I can do is keep cutting it back.