Old 16-07-2006, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JamesB

Default Veggies for sowing now

Bob Hobden wrote:
"JamesB" wrote
Having just lifted my first ever potatoes (only just got into this
gardening lark), I find myself with a nice bare patch of ground that the
missus is complaining about.
The question is, is there anything I can plant in that space for either
lifting autumn or spring? I've heard it's the last chance to plant runner
beans, or possibly peas. Any ideas?

Plant some Early Peas (Early Onward, Feltham First) and you will get a crop
before the winter but they will need lots of water and no peas like this
heat at the moment. Over the years we have come to the conclusion that wire
netting is the best thing for them to climb up, lasts a long time too.
Runner beans would probably give you a crop before the first frost but
depends where you are, but the same applies as regards peas and the heat and
water.

Thanks Bob. I think peas might be the way to go. It's a very new plot
and I don't think the soil is up to much (had to break up a path to make
it), so I guess the peas would put something good back in. Watering's no
problem - no hosepipe ban here, despite what my neighbour keeps shouting
at me.

I might be a bit too far north to get the beans before the first frost
(Wrexham).