Old 18-03-2003, 09:33 PM
RichToyBox

Default When to use a check valve?

BV,

If the pump return to the pond is above water level, as in a waterfall, then
a check valve would not be needed. If the return is below water level, then
the top pond and bottom pond will try to equalize, with the potential of
overflow of the veggie filter and loss of water. Due to your design using a
very small difference in elevation, a bottom drain and skimmer, your pond
and veggie filter will equalize whether there is a check valve or not. For
you, I would say that you don't need one.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
My current pond design (It hasn't changed in about 8 weeks. Those of you
that follow the BV pond escapade, know what kind of feat that is) is going
to be about 2200 gallons, with about a 300 gallon VF. Upstream from the

VF,
I plan to have a pump house that will draw from the VF and empty into the
main pond. The main pond will feed the VF via a skimmer and a bottom

drain.

Should I have a check valve in the output pipe to prevent water from
returning via the send? Everything in this system will be roughly on the
same level, so I do not think I will have problems with drainage if the

pump
dies.

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.