Old 17-07-2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

Default shy fish now sunning themselves

"JWH" wrote in message
have three quite large golfish in a large plastic tank. they are normally
shy, but in this hot weather they are sunning themselves very near to the
surface. why would they do this, and why are they not frightened as they
normally are? they are not gasping for air or anything like that.

They might not be visibly gasping for air, but I'm
guessing the warm/hot water has less oxygen than
is comfortable for them.

If you could cover the pond, e.g. construct a kind
of canopy with shade cloth, that might help.
My ponds have that kind of cover and in addition
I run a fountain in one pond, a bubbler in another.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA