Old 17-07-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Sewing seed.

Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]
I bought about 10 packets of seed last week for just over 7 quid: You
can buy cheap mastic guns for a quid at Pound Shops anywhere. Buy 2 and
unscrew the flange from one. (Make sure you buy the ones with the
plunger disk attached with a nut. Some are just pressed and stamped.)
Use one to push the piston out of the cartridge and use the other to
sew the seed.

Am I being thick here? Why do you need two? I'd have thought just use
the gun to empty the bath or window sealant into the bin (not black
mastic, which doesn't dry out), then poke the bit in the nozzle out
with a stick or screwdriver, then use the same instrument to push the
plunger thing in the tube back out again, so you can fill it with paste
and seeds. You may need to make sure the wallpaper paste doesn't
contain a fungicide: this may be harmful to chitted seeds.

I've never done fluid sowing myself, but it is a recognised technique
-- though unusual for beans, I'd have thought. I could probably get
beans sown quicker by hand.

I'll be very interested to hear how well it goes in this dry weather.
Did you find you needed to water the rows so the seeds didn't get
imprisoned in a casing of dried wallpaper paste?
[...]

--
Mike.