Old 18-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Phisherman

Default hostas

On 18 Mar 2003 10:04:11 -0800, (ann) wrote:

Hostas are beautiful plants until the slugs & snails discover them!
Any advice on how to protect them apart from slug pellets? Thanks!

You can circle the plants with wood ashes--slugs/snails hate that.
You can use sharp sand/gravel instead of the ashes, but I don't think
that works as well. There's a product called "Sluggo" that is
supposedly environmentally safe but I have not found this product in
stores. Beer or yeast traps. Ducks and toads enjoy eating slugs.