Old 18-07-2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

Default Poison Ivy

In article , fran1234
@volcanomail.com says...
Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

I've come across poison ivy with a 5 leaflet pattern a couple of times
over the years, it's more of a modified leaf of the bottom part of the
leaflet that gives it the 5 leaf look, as mentioned in another post box
elder saplings look exactly like poison ivy and will have 5 leaf mixed
with the 3 leaf pattern, but it will grow more upright and won't have
the clinging "hairs" as will the ivy.
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.