Old 18-07-2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default newbie composting question

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
.com...
Is there any known problem with composting Bald Cypress
'leaves'(needles?).

Eggshells?

I've heard a rumor that pine needles are undesirable.
If it is just a matter of pH I think doses of ashes from my BBQ pit will
help balance that issue.

tia

Carl

It's usually recommended that you not put any non-vegetable matter in your
compost because it can attract various critters who have an excellent sense
of smell. In some towns, this can also attract the attention of whiners
who'll call the property upkeep police to annoy you. If rats are the
problem, this is justified. However, the scent can also draw attention to
your garden, from critters who would otherwise not be interested. People who
think "Oh my - I'd never own a gun" will suddenly become quite bloodthirsty
when half their garden is decimated by woodchucks & raccoons.