Old 19-07-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

Default Poison Ivy

In article . com,
says...
Believe me, it's not Virginia Creeper or Box Elder. This thing had the
standard 3-leaf vine (~2ft long) branching off the 5-leaf vine (~6
inches long). The 5-leaf also had the center leaf with symetrical
(sp?) notches and all 4 side leaves with the irregular notches (few on
the side closest to the middle, many on the side furthest from the
middle). And it was definately 5 seperate leaves.

Virginia Creeper has all 5 leaves with identical symetrical notches.

pixi wrote:
Ever hear of Virginia Creeper??

"fran" wrote in message
Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

Here ya go Fran....found these this morning.
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/PoisonIvy.htm
--
Lar

--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.