Old 19-07-2006, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
SallyJ

Default topsoil for lawn question

The RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening says that for a "top-quality" lawn
you will need at least 8 in (20cm) of topsoil. Although as you are not
looking for "top-quality" you will get away with less. This website
(http://www.turfgrasssod.org/trc/soilprep.html) suggests 4-6 inches
which sounds about right to me.

Good Luck
Sally Hayward

John Kelly wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before but I have checked google and
couldn't find an answer butm aybe that's because I'm not phrasing my
search correctly.

Anyway - I'm doing a lawn. The level of the ground needs to be raised so
I'm going to need to buy topsoil. The problem I have is the condition of
the existing ground. It was recently a building site and is basically
hardcore stones and rubble with a fair amount of sand and poor quality
soil. What depth of good quality topsoil should I use for planting
grass? I don't need a bowling green type lawn but I don't want one which
is patchy either.

Thanks
--
John Kelly