Old 19-07-2006, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Puppy chewing plants: Any ideas?

SallyJ wrote:
I have a new puppy who is at the stage where everything (and I mean
everything) goes in his mouth! This includes flowers, leaves, twigs
and anything else he finds around the garden. I checked up which
plants were potentially poisonous and to my horror found that the list
includes many common species including virtually all bulbs,
philadelphus, ivy, delephiniums, lily of the valley, cherry laurel,
clematis armandii, dicentra and many more! Does anyone have any good
ideas about how to stop a puppy chewing these plants?

This year I've had to make a little fence, poles and green wires, to
stop one of my youngest dogs (now 1 1/2 yrs) to go into the triangle
which has my favourite plants. As much as my 2 other dogs understood
very quickly not to walk on it, this one just didn't. She has the
memory of a gold fish ... I however had to distract her too, everytime
I could see her going for a good dig or a good chew. Eventually with
patience they do understand. Also, one does learn with experience, my
dogs all had to learn not to drink the sea water nor chew something
they shouldn't, especially my shoes!

However, you ought to provide your pup some grass to eat so he/she can
be sick if he/she needs to. You will find even at a small age that if
they eat something that upset them they will try to be sick by eating
something else. Mine are either going for the grass or the solidago.
Don't ask why though I suspect the solidago to have a quicker reaction.
Also treat him/her with chews, and keep some wood he/she can reach in
the garden. I also keep their favourite sticks on the side of the house
so that if they go for something they shouldn't, I remind them where
their stuff is )