Old 19-07-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sue

Default Zuch is fizzling

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:15:55 -0500, sherwindu

Sounds like they aren't getting pollinated. That is especially a
problem when you only have one or two. Personally, I plan to
have maybe four or five this coming spring.

The flowers on the ends of the small zucchinis are female. The
flowers on regular stems are male. There has to be one of each
open at the same time for pollination to happen. Check them each
morning, and if you see an eligible couple, take the male flower
off, peel the petals back, and smoosh it into the female flower.

--

Gee, I thought I was the only crazy one going around playing bee on
my apple trees with a que tip.

Nope. I'm out there every morning with my little paint brush
committing lewd and lascivious acts among my zucchini.
Sue

Sherwin D.