Old 18-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Elizabeth Jones

Default getting rid of vines

I just cleared out a mountain of vines that were growing all
over the fence of my new house. I know that some of the
vines were grape vines, but others were a mystery vine. The
mystery vine had shiny oval leaves, if i recall correctly
they were lined up opposite each other on the branches, and
were bright green on the top/reddish underneath. And the
older parts of the vines were over 1 inch thick and seem
to have runners going underground. So anyway, I have all
the vines pulled off the fence, but I know that there are
still runners from the mystery vine and probably the grape
vine under the ground, and in the neighbor's yard (neighbor
is a renter who is not going to do anything about them).

What I'm wondering now is, what can I do to try to prevent
these vines from taking over again? I figured I would invest
in a lot of roundup, but that probably won't do much for
the runners. I could rototill, but I'm afraid that breaking
the runners up might make things worse. Does anyone have
any thoughts on good ways to kill off these vines and keep
them dead?

I'm in Kansas City, Zone 5/6.

Thanks!

--