Old 20-07-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default Please help identify

hitesh wrote:

Yes, that's it. Thanks BG !!!

Now I know it says that it's harmless, but I happen to have these crazy
allergies. Is there a safe way to remove or kill the slime mold before
it releases its spores?

I mean I didn't see any of these molds last year and this year we've
got about 8-10 so far. I'm just wondering if I'll have even more next
year unless I do something.

Thanks,
Hitesh

B.G. Jones wrote:

It's a slime mold called "Dog Vomit Fungus". Read he

http://www.personal.psu.edu/sam21/dogvomit.htm

hitesh wrote:

Hi,

Over the past few days, these things have been popping up in our mulch
beds and the base of a tree. I'm not positive, but I think each one
shows up overnight. Can you please help identify them? Do I need to
worry about this?

http://hitesh.smugmug.com/gallery/1685936/1/82756064
http://hitesh.smugmug.com/gallery/1685936/1/82756040

Please help !

Thanks,
Hitesh

Keep in mind that it likely grew from a spore - so spores were already
in your area. Humans evolved in an environment that included those and
many other spores.

Still, alcohols are toxic to many fungi - stachybotrus for instance, and
MAY not be too rough on the underlying ground. Or, carefully wetting it
with a mister(to help reduce particles flying off of it) and using a
shovel to dispose of it in a bag might be as good.

many folks begin having various fungi in older mulch from what I've read.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)